Doran Scales (USA) - The Challenge: Quality Control Verification and Packaging Accuracy.
A producer of margarine and other non-dairy spreads needed a means to verify that their Quality Control (QC) procedures where being implemented. Their QC procedures required a sample to be taken every 15 minutes at the filling machine. Based upon these weighments the filling machine was adjusted to keep the product weight within the desired tolerance. They were hand recording the QC samples which were then transcribed into an Excel™ worksheet. At issue was the amount of time required to create usable QC reports from hand-written records and a concern that QC checks were not being performed as required.
The Doran 2200CW Checkweigh Scale with Ethernet, Barcode Scanner and Excelerator Data Collection:
- A Doran 2200CW was placed at the fill machine and connected to the company's computer network.
- The fill machine operator performs the QC check by scanning the product UPC code which recalls that products tolerance information from the scale memory.
- The product information, weight, tolerance, time and date is sent over the network to Doran’s Excelerator Data collection program which creates a detailed QC report in an Excel™ workbook.
- Each weighment has a time and date stamp to validate that QC procedures are being implemented.
- Increase Yield: 1%
- Average Shift Production in lbs: 24,000
- Average Product Cost per lb: $0.17
- Product Savings in lbs per Day: 720
- Product Savings in lbs per Year: 187,200
- Total $ Savings per Day: $122.40
- Total $ Savings per Month: $2,448.00
- Total $ Savings per Year: $29,376.00
For more information about the 2200CW Checkweigh Scale from Doran Scales click here.
Other Articles from Doran Scales (USA)
© Doran Scales (USA) / International Weighing Review