Grand Rapids Metrology (United States) - We're GR Metrology, and we're seeking a Calibration Technician to join our growing team in Grand Rapids, MI. As a field service technician at GR Metrology, you are dispatched daily to customer sites across the West Michigan service area to perform calibrations and preventive maintenance while empowering our customers to get the most out of their measurement equipment. Our service allows countless customers to maintain their quality standards and effectively do what they do best. This rewarding field allows our employees to build a career they can be proud of. We hope you apply to join our team and join us in our mission to elevate our industry!
- Perform onsite and in-shop calibrations to generate certifications
- Properly maintain standards and equipment
- Identify equipment in need of repair or replacement
- Set up and install of new products
- Document parts, calibration data, equipment and customer information
- Utilize accurate test points and tolerances
- Drive and maintain company vehicle
- Provide world-class customer service and serve as a trusted advisor
- Anticipate customer needs
- Generate leads and act as a GR Metrology ambassador
- Operate safely - always, and report near misses
- Take part in training, and drive career progression
At GR Metrology we like to say that "We hire for character, and train for skill", because we aren't necessarily looking for someone with a college degree and a list of certifications. Instead, we look for the following behaviors and motivations when bringing someone onto our team.
Are you someone who:
- finds purpose in helping others
- truly enjoys supporting customers and making them feel important
- cares about quality and craftsmanship in your work
- is reliable and self-motivated because that’s just the way you are, not because of rules or policies
- is curious, with a desire to learn and grow
If so, we can teach you the technical stuff! Here are some of the competencies you will learn when joining our team:
- Measurement theory and understanding of metrology principles
- Ohms Law
- Principles of torque, loadcells, hand tools, weights, and pins
- Understanding of how to use equipment, standards, etc. safely and without causing damage
- Utilization of correct equipment to accomplish desired outcome
- Knowledge of internal and 3rd party calibration procedures
- Professional Field Service – customer service, leads, repair process, rentals, accident reports, packing slips, standards
We have a list of core values that we live by at GR Metrology, but what is important to you as a job seeker, is that we value growth. We want to see you exceed your own expectations for yourself and work with purpose. Through unvarnished communication we want to help you grow your career as you learn how to apply your skills- we don't want you to just memorize what to do and check a box. We find joy in recognition, and hope this type of empowerment is what you have been searching for!
While we can train most things, we have a few requirements we can't budge on. If you meet these, we encourage you to apply!
- A minimum of 1 year of calibration experience in the physical/dimensional, thermodynamics and/or electronics field
- A High School Diploma or GED
- Mechanical / Technical / Electrical experience or aptitude and passion for working with your hands
- Familiarity with quality systems and practices (ISO 17025)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills and ability to use a company provided cell phone and tablet to complete work orders
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Capable of daily local travel in a company vehicle with a valid drivers license
- Occasional >5% out of town travel
- Willingness to do what it takes to serve our customers
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to achieve goals
- Ability to stand for 4+ hours per shift, walk 4+ miles per shift, stoop, and bend
- below knee-level 4+ times per hour
- Ability to lift and carry 50lbs repetitively
What we offer:
We know that you have a lot of choices when it comes to employers, but GR Metrology is different.
We set ourselves apart from the rest by offering the following:
- Competitive compensation and incentive opportunities
- Focus on growth and development and proven track record of promotion from within
- Generous benefit package that starts your 1st day with the company and includes:
- Medical coverage through Priority Health for you and your family
- Employer contributions to your Health Savings Account
- Dental coverage through Delta Dental
- Vision coverage through EyeMed
- Employer paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Additional voluntary life and supplemental insurance at low cost to employee
- 80 hours of paid time off in your first year, increasing to 120 after your first anniversary, and increasing at anniversary milestones after that
- Paid time off each year to support your community through a community outreach program of your choice
- A safe working environment
- An engaging, dynamic, and supportive company culture, in one of West Michigan's Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in 2022!
- Not to brag, but we know how to throw a party! We bring our employees together frequently, whether that is for baseball games, hockey games, box suite rentals with all you can eat and drink, murder mystery, parking lot, Halloween and Christmas parties, just to name a few, highway cleanup and other volunteer events, or happy hour as a team!
Note on hiring process:
We work to maintain transparency and clear expectations for our employees and extend that to our prospective employees by outlining our hiring process and starting pay range.
- ONLINE APPLICATION: The more information you can provide us during this step the better!
- PHONE INTERVIEW: If you are selected to move to the next step you will be contacted to schedule a phone interview with our HR Manager.
- IN PERSON INTERVIEW: The last step in our hiring process is to bring the hiring team together to meet you and answer questions from the people you’ll be working with most often
Grand Rapids Metrology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other protected classes.