Grand Rapids Metrology (United States) - Are you looking for something new? A job where you get to see and do something different each day while building a rewarding career? Looking for a company that actually cares about its employees and where the team supports you and makes it an enjoyable experience coming to work every day?
We're GR Metrology, and we want to talk to you.
We know our success comes from our people and making sure they are taken care of first. That has been true since we opened shop 100 years ago in Grand Rapids and remains true throughout 5 generations of family ownership and has allowed us to open two more branches, in Metro Detroit and Bay City, MI. We feel honored to have 30-year employees working alongside technicians who are just getting into the business and building their careers. We take pride in what we do and love being able to provide our customers with the peace of mind that comes from calibrating, repairing, and servicing their measurement equipment.
The newest addition to our team will be based out of our Romulus, MI shop, with convenient access to highways that reach our larger service area in Metro Detroit. We have customers across the Metro Detroit area and technicians may start their day at home or the Romulus shop, depending on the schedule for the day. If you are located anywhere in the Metro Detroit area, this position could be a great fit for you! We provide everything you need to do your job; vehicle, gas, cell phone, laptop, tools, uniforms (including steel-toe shoes) and the training you need to learn this skilled trade. We even pay for our employees to get their CDL so they can drive our larger calibration units.
Who we're looking for:
At GR Metrology we like to say that "We hire for character, and train for skill", because we aren't necessarily looking for someone with a college degree and a list of certifications. We want people on our team who aren't afraid of trying something new. Our craft is not taught in many schools outside of the military and therefore we have built a training program that allows someone with the right attitude and some mechanical ability to come in and learn the skills they need to do the job. We like it this way as we have been able to build a team that is passionate about what they do and is hungry for growth. We provide countless training opportunities in both classroom and on-the-job settings.
It's not all rainbows and butterflies though, our technicians have to lift 50lb test weights repetitively when calibrating floor scales. They have to climb down into pits below truck scales and crawl around in the mud. They work in all weather conditions and at all different kinds of facilities. We provide extensive safety training, protective equipment, and place the safety of our technicians above all else, however it can be physically demanding and requires technicians to be aware at all times of their surroundings, so they don't get hurt.
What you'll do:
After you graduate from the training program and start heading out on your own, you can expect to do the following tasks daily:
- Maintain focus on safety above all else, while complying with all OSHA and customer safety requirements
- Approach customer interactions as a subject matter expert and provide trusted technical advice
- Travel regionally (less than 5% overnight) and perform expert technical measurement services such as:
- Preventative Maintenance
- Troubleshooting and Repair
- Configure, and then provide training to customers on their specific equipment
- Use, clean, and maintain hand/power tools and safety equipment
- Accurately document test and calibration data within GR Metrology's proprietary software system following ISO/A2LA quality standards, and be able to explain what this means to customers when asked
- Operate heavy machinery such as forklifts, material lifts, and testing units
- Share your knowledge with other team-members and collaborate to continuously improve GR Metrology
- High School Diploma or GED
- Mechanical / Technical / Electrical experience or aptitude and passion for working with your hands
- Ability to travel regionally to project sites, with a valid driver's license
- Ability to work overtime hours and on-call when required
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to stand for 4+ hours per shift, walk 4+ miles per shift, stoop, and bend below knee-level 4+ times per hour
- Ability to lift and carry 50lb weights repetitively
- Pass a pre-employment DOT physical, and comply with GR Metrology's drug and alcohol-free program
What we offer:
We know that you have a lot of choices when it comes to employers, but GR Metrology has always made it a point to provide the best benefits available to our employees.
- Competitive compensation and incentive opportunities
- Focus on growth and development and proven track record of promotion from within
- Generous benefit package that starts your first day of hire (no waiting 90-days or 6 months) and includes:
- Medical coverage through Priority Health
- Dental coverage through Delta Dental
- Vision coverage through VSP
- Employer paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Additional voluntary life and supplemental insurance
- Start your career with two weeks of paid time off, including additional time off each year to support your community through a community outreach program of your choice
- Company provided uniforms, tools, laptop, cell phone, PPE, and a vehicle for field service
- A safe working environment
- An engaging, dynamic, and supportive company culture, in one of West Michigan's Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in 2020!
- Not to brag, but we know how to throw a party! We bring our employees together frequently, whether that is for baseball games, hockey games, box suite rentals with all you can eat and drink, murder mystery, parking lot, Halloween and Christmas parties, just to name a few, highway cleanup and other volunteer events, or happy hour as a team!
Note on hiring process:
We work to maintain transparency and clear expectations for our employees and extend that to our prospective employees by outlining our hiring process and starting pay range.
- Online application: the more information you can provide us during this step the better!
- Phone interview: if you are selected to move to the next step you will be contacted to schedule a phone interview with our hr manager.
- In person interview: the last step in our hiring process is to bring the hiring team together to meet you and answer questions from the people you’ll be working with most often
Grand Rapids Metrology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other protected classes.